Pages

Wednesday 16 November 2011

The Killer's Daughter by Vivian Oldaker

Bullied into the truth
Review by TheMole(Gerry)


This book is very easy reading and would make an excellent holiday book for young girls.

Emma is the grand daughter of a famous movie star who died on the Greek island of Kalos. The trouble is that her father was tried for her grandmother's murder and although found not guilty people don't believe the verdict. Where ever they go they seem to get hounded and ostracised. They have moved to Wessex where Emma starts a new school and it starts all over again.

Emma is year 11 but having to repeat year 10 because of the court case so 16 going on 17 but I found myself comparing her actions and maturity with my 13 year old daughter. I am not sure why I should find that though. Is it that my daughter is mature or is Emma written as less mature? The effect of this is that I can see this book being read and and enjoyed by young teenagers through to the older ones.

It is fast moving and ends up as a whodunnit that develops quite late on. One of it's main early themes is bullying, which seems to be a quite popular theme today. The bullying is portrayed well and I found myself thinking that yes, the teaching staff would do it that way - but are they right?

I did enjoy the book, although at times I wanted to give some (if not most) of the characters a telling off.

Publisher - Andersen Press
Genre - Teenage Girls General Fiction

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for taking the time to review my book - much appreciated!
    Just a minor point: Emma is actually 15 going on 16 (she turns 16 near the end of the school year in June. Year 10 is 14/15, Year 11 is 15/16). Not that it makes a lot of difference! Again, many thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Point taken about those dates Vivian. It's me working things out wrong. Ours is year 8 and 13 and worked from there - but it's nearly the end of the school year and she has only JUST turned 13. Sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete