Pages

Monday 25 June 2012

The Light Between Oceans by ML Stedman

The Blurring of Right and Wrong
Review by The Mole


Tom Sherbourne came through the first world war unscathed and carries the scars of guilt and the horrors he endured. He has joined the lighthouse service to get away from people and to heal although he meets Izzy and they marry and return to the remote lighthouse, Janus,
 where Izzy longs for a child. Shortly after her third miscarriage a boat washes up with a dead man and a baby wrapped in a ladies cardigan and Izzy persuades Tom to do the 'wrong' thing for once.

What is 'right' and what is 'wrong' though?

If you want a tale of bunnies with a happy ending and justice for all then may I recommend that this is not the book for you - try Beatrix Potter either The Tale of The Flopsy Bunnies or Peter Rabbit. It is the story of a moment's decision that has to be lived with for the rest of life.

Everyone of the characters came to life for me. First there was Tom who I wanted to shake and say 'no, no, no!' almost from the word go and at several points in the story. I felt both his and Izzy's pain and dilemma and understood them.When we met Hannah I could see her viewpoint and understand her but I wanted her to see what that decision would do and was doing. Gwen... well I didn't really get her that well, I would have expected at least some real loyalty but both sets of grandparents were so true to life, and the police men with their mixture of humanity and ambitions. In fact the entire cast of characters leapt out at me and that made the final chapter even more difficult. This chapter is one of the longest nine pages I have ever read. Before embarking on chapter 37 I strongly recommend having a box of tissues at hand. A BIG box. And if you normally weep easily get a friend to hold your hand while you read it.

Maryom and I have debated the ending... it was the ending she wanted but not the one I expected although having finished a few days ago I can reflect and look back at it and say that there could not be a better ending.

A story of life, love, prejudices and natural justice. I highly recommend this book to... well anyone really.

Maryom reviewed this book as well.

Publisher - Doubleday
Genre - adult fiction

Buy The Light Between Oceans from Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment