Pages

Monday 21 January 2013

World War One History in an Hour by Rupert Colley

Review by The Mole

We normally start a review with a synopsis but I think most people are aware of this event in history and it's outcome, but how much do we know about how it started and who the main participants were? I set out reading this with an admission that my knowledge of these events was pretty poor so wanted to see how much I could find out 'in an hour'.

I am a slow reader so it did take me more than an hour but not a great deal more. But how much is actually covered? There is very little time for waffle in this account so be prepared for facts to come at you like the proverbial machine gun fire. The narration is well structured to keep all events moving along chronologically - something that is not easy when war was raging on so many fronts at the same time - and you arrive at the end dizzying over the amount that has been presented to you in such a short time. Perhaps I should have read it as several smaller sessions, but my memory is poor and I will have to go back and reread to try to absorb more of it.

"Thoroughly enjoyable" somehow doesn't do it credit. Extremely well done and extremely informative.

Publisher - Harper Press
Genre - Non-Fiction, War, History

Buy World War One: History in an Hour from Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment